For all of you education majors here is a class you may want to look into for future semesters. It is called dance 420: creative dance and learning. This is not quite a dance class as you might expect. It is more like a movement class. It is a class based on movement in educational settings. As a part of the course you will be writing lesson plans that involve movement using the michigan content standards. This is a good course to take in your earlier undergrad years simply because it exposes you to lesson planning and content standards which in the michigan state education program you dont get until the fourth year. I am taking this class right now and I wish that I had taken it last year. Either way it is still a great course to take.
For example right now for my final lesson plan I am planning a lesson on the growth of apple trees. The students begin in a seed, grow into a sapling, then finally a tree. It goes through the seasons and stages of growth. Lastly apples are picked, leaves fall, and the trees rest for winter. The students will get to act out these movements while learning how apples and apple trees grow.
There is also a course called THR 420. This is the theater version of this class. I dont know much about it but it involves teaching theater in educational settings using lesson plans. I would recommend both of these classes to education majors.
Monday, November 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Kandra- This is awesome! Who would have thought you can implement different movements and dances within your teachings.
I love to hear about the variety of classes offered at MSU.
I'll have to look into it for the upcoming semesters!
this is great to know! Plus...
I am actually in THR421 (im not sure if you meant THR421 or if there are to classes) which is a creative dramatics class that just like you said teachs us how to use theater and the arts in your classroom. Everyday we do activities that you could easily use in your classroom to get kids out of their seats while still learning. Just like you said, we did learn how to write and create lesson plans that include things like singing, dancing, painting, etc but also we observed children at the CDL to see methods that are used now (or the lack thereof)and how kids responded. I would highly recommend this class. It not only gave me ideas and methods but the confidence to feel like i could write a play about any topic for my future class to perform !!
Post a Comment